Sunday, December 11, 2005

 

A Highly Ambiguous Transaction

A heads up from good friend, colleague in past perf-po exploits, and Trip Picks editor Tania van Schalkwyk nets me Nobel Laureate Harold Pinter's Nobel acceptance speech. As I've often stated my belief mind that the root of a lot of the nonsense we're subjected to in the daily news these days can be traced directly back to the Iran/Contra affair, there's probably no particularly compelling reason for me to expand any further than Pinter does in his speech. And, as I'm misguided enough to be able to fully sympathize with Sartre's decision to decline the Nobel prize, there's probably little enough for me to learn by discussing the question of how "appropriate" it is for the literature laureate to use the acceptance speech as an opportunity to make a political statement. I do, after all, think all such speeches are political statements. However, on the off chance that you have not yet encountered Pinter's words, I did want to pass them on.

I've been working quietly on the sidebar, and tending to a lot of other cyber-tasks, will be on again in the near future for a more personal update. In the meantime, I'd be interested in knowing your thoughts re: Pinter's words, if you're at all inclined to share them here.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?