Wednesday, September 15, 2004

 

I must like pain...

[mode=soapbox]

But this is actually one of the more intelligently done op-ed pieces I've seen in a while.

Among other quotes (I know at least one of the members of the 'friends' list is a fan from way back, having harangued him from the left often enough during High School...) is the one by William Buckley: "With the benefit of minute hindsight, Saddam Hussein wasn't the kind of extra-territorial menace that was assumed by the administration one year ago. If I knew then what I know now about what kind of situation we would be in, I would have opposed the war."

And yes, I know, once again, there are those that will maintain that Salon is but yet another anarchist rag--but this one puts the case quite cogently. I'm certainly not the one most likely to get up and defend Reagan's fiscal policies, but, if a conservative is measured by that yardstick, Bush is not a conservative.

At least not fiscally.

Socially conservative, fiscally profligate: this does not strike me, and never has, erm, stricken me, as a workable solution--but especially not in light of the issues we really MUST address. Either that, or do ourselves in earlier than we really needed to. Running the high risk of being labeled a left-wing doom-and-gloomer, the risk of the latter is actually much, much higher than most people are willing to acknowledge.

[/mode]

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?